
Rain, rain, rain, rain. It has been in the forecast for the past few weeks and it continues to remain there. I actually like rain. I find it peaceful, comforting, and best when I have an opportunity to sleep in. It has never bothered me and i've never gotten sick of it. This thought process, however, has changed since I received the new bike and I would like nothing more then to ride during a warm, sunny, and DRY day...oh...and NOT have to clean my bike when I got back from a ride.
Today started out with cloudy skies and cold temperatures...however it was DRY and the forecast called for a 30 percent chance of rain. "Not bad" as I thought to myself. I had to take care of a few errands in the morning which I finished around 1:00pm. I took a glance outside and it was still dry. I had a quick lunch and then suited up for a ride to West Seattle and back. I wheeled my bike out of the house and before I stepped outside my neighbor Gean caught me. We had an exchange of words followed by "going for a ride out in the rain"? I paused for a moment and looked outside. IT WAS RAINING!
I got on my bike and started to make my way towards West Seattle with a stop at Performance Bicycle to get a tire wrench in case I got a flat. The trip wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Rain, wet, cold, more rain, and people who don't know how to share the road. I was almost killed by a guy who I think literally pulled into the bike lane to cut me off. I stopped at Salty's to take a break and call Amanda Jane to see how she was doing. 10 minutes later I was back on the bike and about ready to make the climb to the top of the hill on the north end of West Seattle. I made my way south via California ave. and then hooked a left on Holden towards my old apartment. I noticed a lot of new buildings going up in the area including a firestation! I eventually made my way over to my old bike route that I used while living in West Seattle. I have made quite an improvement in my speed since I last took the route a year ago. I curved my way down the West Seattle hill and made my way back to the harbor that would allow me to bypass the West Seattle Bridge. On the way I almost killed myself again. I was making a right hand turn and my hand slipped off the handlebars throwing off my center of gravity off balance and I almost plummeted to the ground. Luckily I held my composure and managed to stay upright. I stopped at my fruit and veggie stand on 65th to grab a few goodies for my dinner later. At this point I could no longer feel my feet. It literally felt like I was pedaling with nubbing feet. Twas a strange feeling! After 33 miles I made it home and warmed up.
It was a crappy day as far as weather, but I physically felt great and I feel like my speed in climbing hills is improving. I'm glad I braved the rain and took a stroll out. As I always keep telling myself "better rain then snow".
-Jason
P.S. It stopped raining once I got back from my ride.

No comments:
Post a Comment