Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rules of the Road

When you ride on city streets you are up close and personal with all the cars that drive by. I am technically considered a vehicle and thus am required to ride on the road along with the cars. I have to follow the rules of the road; stopping at red lights, signaling and all the other fun road rules. I would assume that the cars would have to also follow these rules too. Sadly, this is not the case. I see the worst drivers when I ride. I've been hit twice by moving vesicles. One lady practically had to buy me a new bike because she bent mine up so badly when she hit me.

Today while riding to my car I was once again almost hit by a car who was not following the rules. This kid was backing around a corner from a side street into a main thoroughfare. Backing into oncoming traffic is not allowed!! I don't care if you REALLY need that last parking space. Freaking go around the block like you are supposed to. I am not mentally assuming cars will be backing out of corners in the wrong lane. I look for cars in their correct lane. Anything else is very dangerous! Arg!

And while on the subject. If YOU happen to drive a car, please look out for bikers. And also look when opening your door after parallel parking on a busy road. Slamming into an opening door is one of my biggest fears. So, please, llok out for me. Thanks!

-Ry

1 comment:

  1. Slamming into a car door opening is one of my biggest fears too...hence why I give myself a good 3 feet from the curb. I've almost been hit more times that I can count on my hands.

    ReplyDelete